The Claret Jug

The Claret Jug

British Open Golf Claret JugThe Claret Jug is the legendary Open Championship trophy and it has played a very important part in Open golf history. It is awarded each year to the winner of the British Open Golf Championship. It was first presented in 1872 after the original Champions belt had been claimed by young Tom Morris after winning the championship three times in succession. It is inscribed ‘The Golf Champion Trophy’ and was made at a cost of £30 by Mackay Cunningham & Company of Edinburgh.

Unfortunately and because the 1872 Championship had been organised in haste, the trophy was not ready for presentation to the winner, Young Tom Morris again, he had to wait a few days before he could be the first man to claim it; his name however is the first to have been engraved on the trophy. Tom Kidd in fact was the first player to actually have it presented at the conclusion of the Tournament when he won in 1873.

The original Claret Jug is on permanent display at the Royal & Ancient Golf Club at St Andrews, along with the Championship belt that had been donated by the Morris family.

The current Claret Jug was originally awarded to Walter Hagen for winning the British Open in 1928 and the winner nowadays has to return the trophy each year prior to the start of the next tournament. He receives a replica to keep permanently. Each year the winners name is engraved on the jug just before presentation.